Tuesday 13 March 2012

EP Review: Gentlemen's Dub Club - Open your eyes

So, a little history of how I discovered Gentlemen's Dub Club, I worked a festival season and the bastards where at every one with their catchy ways and absolutely brilliant live shows. So when I first got back after the summer, I went straight and downloaded their first EP, 'Members only'.  Members only was a good listen, but it didn't keep me wanting to come back and listen to it again and again, there was one tune I did particularly like on it however called 'Gentlemens Sleng ft Bongo Chili'


Because of that I was a little bit apprehensive about potentially buying an EP I might really no listen, but boy am I glad I took the plunge.

The first track on the album 'High Grade' has got a real ska feel to it, which I've always associated with Gentlemen's dub club live shows, but when track 2 kicks in its a bit of a shock, managing to blend their traditional sound with some 'worp worps' you'd expect to find in a dubstep anthem with what sounds like a grime vocalist over the top. The amalgamation of it works really well and I have to say its my favourite tune on the EP.
Track 3 'Open your eyes' is a very laid back little one, an excellent mid point to the track before the bring the deep bass back for track 4 'Chronicles' and track 5 'Run'.

In short a thoroughly enjoyable EP, I'd thoroughly recommend anyone with an open minded view toward ska/dub/reggae to give this one a punt, and I'd definately recommend GDC for a live gig.

Overall rating: 7.5/10







No comments:

Post a Comment