Monday 2 July 2012

Mini Album review: Ruby my dear - Remains of shapes to come

Well this is an album I've been waiting for, having loved two of Ruby my dear's previous EP's (gingko and the dreaming tree), I've been frothing at the mouth for this album, only made worse by the fact the release date seems to have been pushed back a couple of times too.

Ruby my dear is someone who manages to make music the switches between beautiful melody to head trashing breakcore drums effortlessly, and this album is no exception. I will admit it has taken me a couple of listens to get into the flow of this album, but now its got me hooked, im totally in it. One thing that really caught my attention was the introduction of some 'bang bang bang' techno style beats, which is not something I'd heard on the EP's, and its definately a benefit to this album.

Standout songs have to be 'Karoshi': A very well written, reasonably chilled breakcore tune, that still keeps you on the edge of your seat. I particularly like the 'twangy' sounds, which I get the impression are an eastern string instrument (maybe a sitar?)




Secondly the tune on the album that follows karoshi called 'Uken' which uses samples from 'They call it murder' by Damien Marley, this manages to somehow retain the reggae feel of the original whilst sound like someone's having lots of fun with drum programming in the background.



The third tune is called 'A monks dream', the drum beats in this remind me of what is still my favourite Ruby my dear tune (7C0 on the EP Gingko), but monks dream as some nice boom boom boom elements, whilst remaining complex and driving at the same time.



Overall I have to say I love this album, and imagine it will be on my car stereo for a very long time. I'd recomend it to any breakcore fan and add that it was well worth the wait. Definately give this album a listen, its available to order on Adnoiseam with plenty of tunes to preview.

For more info about ruby my dear, here's his myspace and his soundcloud, he also seems to be quite active on facebook too so you can check him out there aswell

No comments:

Post a Comment